close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Abandoned Vehicle Information


Wyo. State Statute § 31-13-109. Any vehicle left unattended on private property without the express consent of the owner or person in lawful control of the property for at least thirty (30) days may be sold by the owner or person in lawful control of the property at public auction to the highest bidder. The thirty day period begins on the first day the owner or person in lawful control of the property has knowledge the vehicle is left unattended without consent.

In order to sell the abandoned vehicle at a public auction the following process needs to be completed…

  • A VIN inspection performed by any Law Enforcement Officer
  • A State of Wyoming Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Services Abandoned Vehicle ID Request form, available at the Sheriff’s Office. The entire form is to be filled out and sent to the State with a $5.00 fee.
  • The State will make every effort to identify the vehicle owner and/or lien holder of record and forward that information the property/land owner.
  • Upon receipt of this information the property/land owner will attempt to give written notice to the owner or lien holder, by certified mail not less than ten (10) days preceding the date of sale.
  • Publication once per week for two consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the County where the vehicle has been abandoned.
  • Bill of Sale by Storage Lien Holder – form filled out date of sale

Forms and instructions are available at the Crook County Sheriff’s Office for this process.

Upon receipt of the following evidence from the seller, a Certificate of Sale will be executed for the fee of $7.50. This Certificate may then be taken to the Clerk’s Office to have a Title issued.

  • A completed copy of the State Abandoned Vehicle ID Request
  • Copies of the Notice of Sale – (Affidavit of Publication from newspaper)
  • Proof of Certified Mailing to Owner/Lien Holder of said vehicle (Envelope returned or green card showing accepted)
  • Vin inspection from Law Enforcement Officer
  • Bill of Sale by Storage Lien Holder

There is no such thing as a Sheriff’s Title – the Sheriff cannot issue a title.