close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.



Who are the District Court Judges for the Sixth Judicial District?

John R. Perry has been on the bench since October 2000, Michael N. “Nick” Deegan has been on the bench since 2005 and Thomas W. Rumpke has been on the bench since May 2013. The judges reside in Campbell County and travel to Crook County once or twice a month, maybe more depending on the courts schedule.

How are judges selected?

When a judicial vacancy occurs, the Judicial Nominating Commission (one-half lawyers and one half non-lawyer and presided over by the Chief Justice of the Wyoming Supreme Court) screens applicants and submits a list of the three nominees to the governor. The governor appoints the new judge from this list. Every six years the voters of the Sixth Judicial District (Crook, Campbell and Weston Counties) vote to determine whether each judge should be retained in office based on the judge's qualifications and job performance, without regard to partisan politics.

Does this office provide criminal history record checks?

The Clerk of District Court provides felony criminal history checks for a fee of $10.00 per name. Because of court restructuring in July of 2002 the district court has all high misdemeanor cases prior to that date. There is no charge if an individual comes to the office to check a name. Among the common uses for these checks are employment purposes, obtaining a house or apartment, and entry into the military. Private businesses sometimes check prospective employees. These checks are also done when a person is buying a weapon.

How is a trial commenced in the district court?

THE JURY TRIAL: Most court matters are resolved without a jury trial even though television may make it seem otherwise. However, the right to a jury trial is guaranteed in all cases and is recognized as the foundation of the American court system. In civil and probate cases, for example, either a six or a 12-member jury may be requested, or by agreement of the parties the jury could be waived and the case tried to a judge alone. Criminal cases require a 12-member jury for felonies. A unanimous verdict is required in civil and criminal jury trials.

TRIAL PARTICIPANTS: Court proceedings are presided over by a judge, whose duty is to apply the law and oversee the matter through its conclusion. The person or entity (such as a business or the government) bringing the lawsuit is called the plaintiff in civil cases and the state through the prosecutor brings a criminal case. The person or entity against whom the action was filed is called the defendant, in both civil and criminal cases.

ORDER OF TRIAL: Jury trials begin with "voir dire," or questions of prospective jurors concerning their qualifications to sit on the jury. Next the plaintiff, or the state, presents an opening statement in which an outline of the anticipated evidence is given. The defense attorney also may give an opening statement at that point, or in criminal cases it could be reserved until after the prosecution rests its case. The evidence is presented first by the plaintiff (or the state) through exhibits and testimony, all of which are subject to legal challenges by the defendant, including cross-examination of the witnesses. At the conclusion of the plaintiff's case, the defense may, but is not required to, present evidence.

OUTSIDE THE COURTROOM: As we mentioned, very few legal matters are actually resolved through full-blown jury or court trials. Most of the work of disposing of our state's judicial business occurs in less formal surroundings, such as conference rooms, smaller hearing rooms and the judge's chambers. It is here that most judges and court personnel labor through preliminary hearings, docket calls, hearings on motions, settlement and discovery conferences, researching the law and completing a myriad of other tasks. Similar to the analogy of the duck gliding seemingly effortlessly on a lake, the judges and court personnel are working paddles beneath the surface, to make the system work.

May I pay my child support through direct deposit?

No. We are not equipped to receive payments using direct deposit.

May I pay my child support, fines and fees with credit card?

Yes. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover.

Must I go to District Court to make child support payments?

You may make your payment in person, by mail or call. Please remember to write the name of the person who is making the payment and include case number.

Can you give me legal advice?

No. The Clerk of District Court's office staff is not permitted to give legal advice. Persons seeking advice or acting as their own attorney's should consult the most recent edition of Wyoming Court Rules and follow the Rules of Civil Procedure.

Can you recommend an attorney or law firm?

No. The Clerk of District Court's office staff is prohibited from referring you to an attorney.

Can I act as my own attorney when filing a case?

Yes. You have the right to act as your own attorney, but our office cannot give you any advice as to the law.

Are bankruptcy proceedings handled in the District Court?

Bankruptcy proceedings are an action of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Wyoming. For more information you should contact the US Bankruptcy Court Clerk's office.

Do I file Small Claims cases in your office?

Small Claims cases are filed with the Circuit Court office located at 309 Cleveland Street, Sundance, WY. The phone number is 283-2929.

When is a case a matter for "Small Claims", and when is it "District Court"?

Generally speaking, when the amount or value of property in dispute is less than $50,000 the matter is filed and heard in Circuit Court. When the amount or value of property is more than $50,000 the matter is filed and heard in the District Court.

Do you provide case and judgment information to companies such as credit bureaus?

The Clerk of Court does look up and give out case information to credit bureaus and other companies when a written request with the requisite fee is sent to our office.

What if I want to appeal the outcome of a District Court case?

Cases tried or otherwise disposed in the District Court in Crook County are appealed to the Wyoming Supreme Court. Appeals are filed with the Clerk of the Wyoming Supreme Court.

Can you tell me how to appeal a case from another (lower) court?

The Clerk of District Court handles appeals from Circuit and Municipal Courts, and some administrative agencies. It will be necessary for you to pay a filing fee at the time you file the appeal.

How do I get a copy of my court records?

The Clerk of Court's Office maintains indices for civil, probate and criminal case files. All civil cases are indexed by plaintiff (person bringing suit) and defendant (person sued). All criminal cases are indexed by the defendant (the accused). All probate cases are indexed by the decedent or wards name. Juvenile delinquency, adoptions, sex offender registration/classifications, abuse and neglect, and involuntary hospitalizations are all confidential and copies may not be given out unless you are a party to the case.

This Office does NOT do the following:

  • Traffic Court and Tickets: Traffic court is handled by Circuit Court - 307-283-2929
  • Marriage Licenses: Marriages Licenses are issued and maintained by the County Clerk - 307-283-1323
  • Deeds and other Land Transactions: These are handled in the County Clerk’s office
  • Tax Liens: This is maintained in the County Clerk’s office


Disclaimer: The Clerk does not expressly or impliedly warrants that the information or data accessed by the customer is accurate or correct. The Clerk shall not be liable for any loss, cost, damage, or expense arising directly or indirectly in connection with this access. In no event shall the Clerk be liable for any special or consequential damages or for any indirect damages resulting from the Customer's use or application of the information accessed as a result of using this website.