close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Auto/Watercraft/Snowmobile & Trailer Titles


When titling a newly purchased vehicle/watercraft/snowmobile or trailer or transferring your title when moving in from out of state, there can be many variables. We have attempted to provide a guide to the documentation that you will need to complete these processes.

If the information provided does not answer your questions, please feel free to call our office and we will try to assist you. We have provided many of the necessary forms in PDF format for your convenience.

Titling from a Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO)

Most often, the dealer that you purchased the vehicle/watercraft/snowmobile or trailer from will forward the title paperwork to our office. We generally advise customers that it takes approximately two weeks for the paperwork to arrive. On occasion, the paperwork is sent to your lien holder or financing company. If this should happen, the paperwork will need to be forwarded on to our office in order to complete the process. The MSO must be surrendered to our office in order to obtain a Wyoming title.

In some cases, the dealer sends the appropriate paperwork and title fees so that your title can be made and waiting for you to pay your sales tax. If this is the case, we will notify you by phone or mail that the title is made and waiting for proof that sales tax has been paid.

Other times, we may need more information from you in order to process your title. If you have received the paperwork from the dealer directly and will be coming to our office to make your new Wyoming title, we will need the following paperwork:

  • The original Manufacturer's Statement of Origin properly signed by the dealership.
  • An Odometer Disclosure Statement or the odometer disclosure portion of the MSO (if applicable) properly completed.
  • The purchase invoice or bill of sale from the dealer.
  • A factory cost will be computed by our office to establish the MSRP that the Treasurer’s Office will use to compute the cost of your license plates.
  • If there is a lien, we will need a copy of the loan papers or loan contract.

Titling from a Wyoming Title

When transferring a previous Wyoming title, you will need the following paperwork:

  • Original Wyoming title signed by all parties whose names appear on the front of the title. Even if the names are separated with “Or”, all parties must sign on the back of the title in the presence of a notary. If there are any liens on the front of the title, all liens must be released by the appropriate County Clerk’s Office or a lien release or termination statement must accompany the title.
  • The odometer disclosure (if applicable) on the title must be properly completed or a separate Odometer Disclosure Statement must accompany the title paperwork. The odometer is not required if the model year of the vehicle is more than 10 years old.
  • If there is a dealer reassignment form, the seller’s signature must be notarized on this form.

Titling from an Out of State Title

Many states do not require notarization of the seller’s signature. However, if there is a place on the title for notarization, it would be best to have the seller’s signature notarized. If in doubt, you can call our office and we can inform you if notarization is required. In order to process your title paperwork, you will need the following:

  • Original title properly signed by the seller(s) and clear of all liens or a lien released attached.
  • Many states require only one signature if names are separated with the conjunction of “Or” and “And/Or”. Please contact our office so that we may research which states allow this.
  • The odometer disclosure (if applicable) on the title must be properly completed or a separate Odometer Disclosure  Statement must be presented. This is not required if the vehicle is more than 10 years old.
  • If the vehicle is purchased from an out of state dealer or an out of state individual, a VIN/HIN inspection will be required. You will need to contact your local law enforcement office to inspect the serial number of your vehicle/watercraft/snowmobile or trailer. They will provide you with a completed form once inspected. If you pay $10.00 to the department for the service, please bring your receipt showing that the fee has been paid so that our office does not charge you again.
  • If the vehicle/watercraft/snowmobile or trailer is purchased from a Wyoming dealer, a VIN/HIN inspection is not necessary.

Obtaining a Duplicate Wyoming Title

Duplicate titles can be issued only when the original title has been lost, destroyed or mutilated. It must be obtained in the county that the original title was issued. ALL owners of the vehicle must sign an Application For Duplicate Title and have their signatures notarized. 

If there is a current lien against the title, we will need a termination statement or lien release from the lien holder. If the lien is to be carried forward to the new title, once the title is issued it will be sent directly to the lien holder.

The notarized application and a $15.00 fee may be sent directly to the Clerk’s Office.

Obtaining a Repossession Title

In order to obtain a repossession title, the lien holder must present a notarized Affidavit of Repossession, a lien release for the current lien, an application for title listing the name and mailing address of the applicant, the original title (not required on repossessions from a lending institution) and a $15.00 fee. If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, a current odometer reading is required. The applicant may mail in the necessary paperwork and the repossession title will be mailed back to them after completion.

Payment of Sales Tax

Sales tax on motor vehicles/watercrafts/snowmobiles or trailers is due within 65 days of purchase or penalties and interest will be assessed by the County Treasurer. If for some reason you are unable to get the title paperwork completed, you may prepay your sales tax to avoid a penalty. You may visit with the County Treasurer to see what is needed if this occurs or if you have any questions regarding sales tax.

The County Clerk must have proof from the County Treasurer that sales tax has been paid before the title can be released. 

For snowmobiles, titling also occurs at county clerk’s offices. The trails sticker required for riding snowmobiles on public lands is obtained from the State Parks and Cultural Resources Department or their selling agents.

Homemade utility trailers that don’t have the vehicle identification number required for titling can get a state-assigned VIN through WYDOT’s Motor Vehicle Services Office. Application For Assignment of Special Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Homemade watercraft builders can get hull-numbering information from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department in Cheyenne by calling (307) 777-4575.Once a VIN is assigned, an inspection by a law enforcement officer is required to assure it is properly affixed to the vehicle before a title can be issued.

Auto, Watercraft, Snowmobile and Trailer Titles  $15 
Duplicate Title  $15
VIN Inspection  $10
Filing a New Lien  $20
Filing an Amendment to a Lien  $5
Filing an Assignment to a Lien  $5
Filing a Continuation of Lien  $5
Releasing a Lien  *no fee
* Releasing a lien filed prior to July 1993 requires a $5.00 fee. All others are no fee.  


2020 and/or Legislation 
Affidavit of Repossession
Out of State VIN Inspection Form - this form is used when the vehicle is currently out of state and the paperwork needs to be done to bring it to Wyoming. 
Duplicate Title Application
Warranty & Notarization Form - this form is used if the parties listed on the front of a title can not sign the back of the title together in the presence of the notary. This form can be used for one of the person’s signatures and must also be notarized. 
Bill of Sale
Title Affidavit for Corrections
MPV Checklist & Form
Application For Assignment of Special Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)


We strive to keep the fees on this website current, if you have any questions, please contact the County Clerk’s Office at (307)283-1323 .